Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NaNoWriMo Update

Maybe I should try writing in the middle of the night more often. I've gotten over three thousand words written today.

Two things I like about doing this challenge (in my own way, I didn't sign up officially since I'd already started this book:) I've been trying really hard (even in the middle of the night when I should be sleeping) to think about what my characters are going to do, where the plot is headed, before I sit down and write. That makes my writing time much more productive, and it's why I'm getting so much written. Insomnia can have it's perks.

I feel a sense of accomplishment. Usually at this point in my day I'm thinking something like this, "Well, that was good to get some writing done, but I still have so much longer to finish my book. Better get going on dinner and the dirty dishes and the violin lessons and . . ."

Today, though, I'm counting my words and realizing how much I really did get done, and having a measurable goal like that (smaller than finish the book) really feels good.

No comments: