Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Book Review: Girl, Stolen, by April Henry

When I read the back cover and realized this book was about a girl who accidentally gets kidnapped, I thought the plot would be predictable. It is, to a point. However, it's well-done, and there is one plot twist that took me completely by surprise. The MC also ends up taking a much more active role in her rescue than I'd expected, and I applaud that.

I admit I like happy endings, and you'll have to decide for yourself how happy this one is. I'm not saying I want everything tied up in an ending, but (spoiler) he asks her a question, and the very last sentence is her pondering her answer but not letting anyone, including the reader, know what it might be. Aagh! Is it sort-of like Bronte's Villette, where we're supposed to decide which ending we like best?

That aside, it's an enjoyable read.

No comments: