Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Book Review: Mockingbird by Kathryn Eskine

I loved this book. I loved this book. Did I mention how good this book is? It's really sad, and I don't usually love sad books. But Kathryn Erskine has plotted this so well, following all of her threads to a good conclusion, that I want to go find her other book, Quaking.

Of course, the theme of Asperger's Syndrome is something close to my heart, but despite my bias, I thought the author did an amazing job of exploring an aspie character and making her understandable to any reader. She mixes this character with a plot about the aftermath of a school shooting, dealing with death, and healing, or "closure" as the character calls it, and it worked well.

I liked the references to To  Kill a Mockingbird, although I have to say that for the first few pages, I really thought the mc's name was Scout. Maybe that was intentional?


No comments: