Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Turn Your Limits into Your Strengths


We've talked about looking at your work from a new angle. How about doing the same for obstacles? Here, my son the artist took the problem of a lamp post obstructing the subject's face and turned it into a pivotal piece of work.
For illustrators, what does deliberately chosen white space add to your focal point? For writers, does your character have a blind spot that might give her a unique dimension?
For all of us, what is one of your writing obstacles or blind spots? How do you work around it, or better, make it work for, rather than against, you?
I could swear I see a grand piano and an anvil in the background of this piece, also by my son. How does your focus allow the reader/viewer to use his or her imagination to fill in the open spaces beyond it?

1 comment:

Alice said...

Cool Sketches. My blind spot is character and dialogue. I have to focus on my strengths with detail and action and get those in place before I can add character and dialogue to a story, and my stories are heavier in action and description than dialogue and character because that's what I'm good at.