Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or Welcome Snow?

Two things seem to baffle people during the holidays. One is what we're allowed to call them, the other is what to get for the people we love.

I agree with Kristen Lamb that some of the best giving is anonymous--Angel Trees and the like. http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/a-merry-klingon-christmas-holidays-for-the-add-nerdy-introvert/

When it comes to buying for my family, it's never that easy. I worry I'm spoiling my kids, then worry they'll get nothing they really want. And in my house, even though I buy early, I don't plan it all out. So the present opening process is never even. Usually the youngest gets the most presents, with us giving her sibs the small-toys-are-cheaper-than electronics explanation. This year, the middle child got the most. Her siblings finished opening their gifts, then we all sat there watching her open her remaining four or five, tempted to hum the Jeopardy thinking song. Do I have to add present-counting to  my already busy holiday schedule?

Next year, I think I'll buy them just three presents each, then give my kids what they really want: a gift card.
Or we'll skip the whole present thing and go on vacation. We give presents out of love. But there's something to be said for peace as well.

No comments: