Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

Monday, June 11, 2012

Stuck on that First Line...again!

I can think of many worse kinds of hell than having to rewrite a first sentence through eternity. However, after seeming endless versions, I am getting frustrated. I've never had so much trouble with a first page. In earlier posts, I've talked about how haiku can help phrase thoughts in a different, more concise way. For my too-wordy self, this sometimes helps clarify what I really want to say. I tried it again. Here's my first result: I seize color bright slip it through unlit door jams to light future rooms This one won't get me there, honestly, but I like it. Here's another go: seize one bright color Plucked from day’s blind blurring haste spark to light up day It's not perfect either, but this a writing exercise, not a haiku competition. One that helped me clarify what I really wanted to say, cutting some of the excess words. Now I'm going to go back and try that first line again.

No comments: