Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chapter Books, Stinky Cheese and WIFYR Opportunity

Used to be, everyone wanted to write picture books. Tried that, didn't go well. Lately a lot of people want to be the next JK Rowling. But a few years back, I heard there was an open spot in the market for anyone who could write chapter books for younger readers.

So I tried. I thought I had a pretty cute story, so I took it to WIFYR (Dean Hughes was our workshop instructor that year.) And honestly, I would have had a better reception if I'd taken a ball of stinky cheese. Not good, seriously.

But this year, I'm going to try again. I'm going to assist Mike Knudson at WIFYR. Last year I attended his class on writing for boys. That story I wrote was about some mischievous boys. I've had two of my own, and with a couple new ideas, plus the opportunity to spend five mornings workshopping with a talented author, maybe this year will go better.

And no, I won't title my manuscript as Stinky Cheese. That's already been taken.

No comments: